As part of the SNF Professorship awarded to Dr. Ferran Antolín (Integrative Prehistory and Archaeological Science (IPNA), Dept. of Environmental Sciences, University of Basel) a fully-funded 3-year PhD position is announced within the project "Small seeds for large purposes: an integrated approach to agricultural change and climate during the Neolithic in Western Europe" (2018-2021).
The project aims to investigate agricultural dynamics in the NW Mediterranean region during the Neolithic.
- Assistance in the compilation of available archaeobotanical data in the study region
- Analysis of archaeobotanical samples from waterlogged contexts (wells) from a Neolithic site located in Southern France, interdisciplinary evaluation of the data (with a team of specialists in different fields) and publication of the results
- Development of new means of approaching crop biodiversity in Prehistory through digital image analysis
- Study of recent and archaeological crop remains with geometric morphometrics, statistical processing of the data and publication of the results
- Dissemination of results in conferences and the general public.
- BA in Botany, Archaeology, Anthropology or History
- MS in Prehistory or Environmental Archaeology (or a similarly relevant field)
- We are seeking a candidate with a strong background in the determination of plant macroremains and some experience with morphometric analysis and/or the statistical processing of data (with R).
- The candidate should show the capacity of working independently, as well as in a team, have good planning ability, communication skills and be ambitioned in goals
- A good level of English is required, while German, French, Spanish, Catalan and/or Italian will be considered as a benefit. If not the case, the willingness of the candidate to learn German is expected.
- A fully-funded doctoral programme based on SNF salary conditions
- Training on geometric morphometrics during a short stay at the University of Montpellier.
- A range of courses taught at the University of Basel
- Integration in our interdisciplinary research group at the IPAS
- Up-to-date working conditions in a highly motivating and enriching working environment
- Funding for attending conferences and courses
Application / Contact
Please send your application to email@example.com with the subject "Application for Doctoral position" as a single pdf file with a letter of motivation, CV (without picture) with names of two referees, and copy of degrees (recommendation letters are also welcome, although the quality and suitability of the CV will be given priority in the selection process).
Applications will be considered from June 1st and will continue until the position is filled.
Contact Dr. Ferran Antolín (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further details or particular questions.
Job advert posted 2017-05-16